Fighting Child Protective Services

Child Pro­tec­tive Ser­vices or CPS are the local social ser­vices agency designed to look at for the wel­fare of chil­dren.  When they believe that a child is abused/and or neglected or are at risk of abuse and neglect they can file a peti­tion with the Juve­nile Court to inter­vene.  The Juve­nile Court acts as par­ent for the child if they assume juris­dic­tion under Cal­i­for­nia Wel­fare and Insti­tu­tions Code Sec­tion 300.  The Court can then make deci­sions about where the child will stay and under what cir­cum­stances the par­ent or guardian can see the child.  There­fore, the par­ent or guardian should take con­tacts with CPS very seri­ously since they can result in the tak­ing away of their child.  It is a good idea to hire attor­ney rep­re­sen­ta­tion if CPS is inves­ti­gat­ing alle­ga­tions of abuse.

None of this infor­ma­tion should be con­sid­ered legal advice as there may be addi­tional fac­tors involved in your case.  Always seek the advice of a lawyer.  This infor­ma­tion does not cre­ate an attorney-client rela­tion­ship with the Law Office of DeDecker & Meltzer LLP.

Leave a Comment


San Fran­cisco Office
203 Wil­low St. Suite. 204
San Fran­cisco, CA 94109
Toll Free: (866) 957‑9966
Fax: (866) 855‑9737

Napa Office
575 Air­park Road
Napa, CA 94558
Toll Free: (866) 957‑9966
Fax: (866) 855‑9737


None of the infor­ma­tion on this site con­sti­tutes legal advice. It is an ad for attor­ney ser­vices. The attor­neys at DeDecker & Meltzer are licensed attor­neys in the state of Cal­i­for­nia. The infor­ma­tion is intended to be gen­eral in nature as there are many laws and reg­u­la­tions not men­tioned on this site that may apply to your sit­u­a­tion.